Open Accessibility Menu

Advanced Directives

At Glendora Oaks Behavioral Health Hospital, we want our patients to understand their right to make medical treatement decisions. The hospital has formal policies to ensure that your wishes about treatment are followed. You have the right to participate in decisions about your care. If you can't make treatment decisions because you are too sick, your doctor will ask your closest available relative or friend to help decide what is best for you. Most of the time that works.

Sometimes, however, everyone doesn't agree about what to do. That is why it is helpful if you decide in advance what you want to happen if you can't speak for yourself and which family members of friends you would like to speak for you.
Under California law, an advanced directive called a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare enables you to designate in writing who you would like to speak to doctors and nurses when you are unable to do so.

Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare forms are available in English and Spanish through Social Services. On admission, you will receive more information about advance directives.

Remember, you do not need an advance directive if you can tell your doctors and nurses what care you want and which care you do not want. Ask your doctor, registered nurse, or social worker for more information on advance directives.